Best Pillows for Side Sleepers with Allergies1
It is estimated that as many as 50% of Americans suffer from allergies. Allergies are not just a daytime annoyance.
For many people, allergies – with the accompanying itchy eyes, stuffy nose and post nasal drip – also rob them of sleep. Since allergies inflame the nasal passages, snoring, difficulty breathing and obstructive sleep apnea may worsen, causing disrupted sleep.
The reason is that over time, the filling of many pillows clumps together because of sweat and dead skin cells. Dust mites and mold – which are common allergy triggers – thrive in this environment. Hypoallergenic bedding will keep these at bay.
People – including allergy sufferers – have different sleeping styles. No matter how one sleeps, it is important to maintain good spinal alignment to avoid aches and pains.
For side sleepers – that is those who sleep on their side with legs straight or curled in a fetal position – a pillow with good, firm support is important to avoid neck and back strain.
The pillow should be high enough to keep the neck and spine in a natural horizontal line.
Quick Comparison: Best Pillows for side sleepers with allergies
Recommended pillows for side sleepers with allergies
1. Coop Home Goods Shredded Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Pillow
The Coop Home Goods Shredded Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Pillow with removable polyester and bamboo derived viscose rayon cover is a dust mite resistant and hypoallergenic option for allergy sufferers.
Made in the United States, this product features certified pure foam that is tested and free from chemicals.
The pillow comes in standard, queen and king sizes. The cover is removable and designed to keep sleepers cool. The inner pillow has a customizable shape and firmness due to shredded memory foam.
- There are several positive aspects to this product including the fact that the entire pillow is machine washable and can even go in the dryer.The cover is also removable for cleaning.
- The company guarantees that this pillow will not flatten or lose its support.
- The pillow can be customized to different shape and support levels. It can be bended, folded and fluffed without the foam losing its support.
- Since the inner pillow has a zippered opening, foam can be added or removed to perfect the support level for side sleepers.
- It doesn’t feel hard and fluffs up shortly after its vacuum sealed delivery.
- Coop Home Goods is so sure customers will love this pillow that the company offers a 30-day return guarantee and a 5-year limited warranty.
- While overall a good, high-quality product, some side sleepers may find that the pillow – as is – does not provide enough support for side sleeping.
- The price tag is also higher than the average pillow.
Overall, the Coop Home Goods Shredded Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Pillow is hypoallergenic, completely washable and customizable making it a great, convenient every day pillow for allergy sufferers.
Though some may find it lacks support for side sleeping, foam can be added for more support.
2. Utopia Bedding Gusseted Queen Hypo Allergenic Quilted Pillow
The Utopia Bedding Gusseted Queen Hypo Allergenic Quilted Pillow is another option for side-sleeping allergy sufferers.
These durable, long-lasting pillows feature double stitching, a high thread count, a 100 percent cotton cover and a gusseted edge to maintain shape.
These pillows are available in queen and king sizes and are filled with a medium-firm blend of polyester gel fiber.
- Satin piping.
- Long lasting.
- Made of materials free from harmful substances.
- Cheaper than Coop Home Goods Shredded Hypoallergenic Memory Foam Pillow.
- Quilted 250-thread-count cotton construction.
- Not too soft and not too firm.
- Some side sleepers may find that these pillows are too soft and do not have enough support depending on preference.
- These pillows contain a polyester fill, which tends to go flat sooner than memory foam, so these may lose supportiveness after several months.
- Requires dry cleaning for the best results which some may find a hassle, but they can be washed with cold water and tumble dried on low.
The Utopia Bedding Gusseted Queen Hypo Allergenic Quilted Pillow may not hold up as long as some other, costlier, pillows.
It can take more care to clean as well.
Overall, however, the Utopia Bedding Gusseted Queen Hypo Allergenic Quilted Pillow is a great low-cost, quality option for allergy suffering side-sleepers.
With so many people suffering from allergies at night, hypoallergenic pillows can be an important part of getting a good night’s sleep.
These pillows keep allergy triggers like dust mites and mold from growing in the bed.
Since people spend an average of 8 hours a night in bed, the comfort of the pillows is also an important consideration.
For side sleepers, it is important to maintain healthy spinal alignment. If the spine is not aligned, this causes strain and can lead to discomfort.
Side-sleepers need a supportive pillow that does not leave the neck at an angle. So, side-sleepers who also suffer from allergies may benefit from a supportive, hypoallergenic pillow.
Featured image By Jessicaalderson (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 ], via Wikimedia Commons