5 Best House Dust Mite Killer Sprays
Last update: October 16, 2018
Got dust mites?
Looking for the most efficient way to get rid of them?
People often ask if dust mites sprays are effective in killing dust mites.
Below is the answer! We’ll take a look at the top dust mite reducing sprays and even a few scientific studies so you can make a good buying decision.
- Quick Comparison: Best House Dust Mite Killer Sprays
- Are dust mite sprays effective?
- Criteria for Choosing Your Ideal Spray
- The Best Choices for Dust Mite Killer Sprays
- 1. Allersearch® ADMS™
- 2. Sprayway Good Night Odorless Spray
- 3. Febreze Fabric Refresher & Allergen Reducer Clean Splash Scent
- 4. Allersearch® ADS™
- 5. Homemade Dust Mite Spray
Quick Comparison: Best House Dust Mite Killer Sprays
Are dust mite sprays effective?
Dust mite sprays can be an effective way to minimize dust mite exposure when used correctly.
There are many kinds of dust mite sprays. Not all dust mite sprays are equally effective.
These sprays contain a variety of active ingredients.
Research has found that the chemical compound Benzyl Benzoate is particularly effective at eliminating mites, although it’s not as safe as more natural solutions.
A good Benzyl Benzoate spray is Acarosan Dust Mite Control Spray.
Other compounds that can be effective in dealing with mites are Phenyl Salicylate, Tannic Acid, and Borate. Many commercial dust mite sprays use a combination of chemicals.
ADS Anti-Allergen Dust Spray, is a tannic acid-based solution.
Criteria for Choosing Your Ideal Spray
Put a little thought into choosing the best spray for you and your situation. Simply buying the first dust mite spray you see is not going to cut it.
There are certain ingredients that are more effective than others. Some sprays can only be used on certain materials, as well.
Consider these options for your ideal spray:
- Scented or Unscented
- People and Pet Friendly
- EPA Registration
- Coverage Area (how much square footage a single container covers)
- Application Area (types of fabrics or materials)
- Volume (ml)
Let’s take a closer look at a couple of these factors:
Ingredients. Choosing a spray with natural ingredients is your safest choice.
Spraying aggravating chemicals on areas that come in contact with people or pets is not a good idea.
If you have children or pets, find a pet-friendly or sensitive formula.
EPA Registration. Any product that has been registered with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) meets strict guidelines.
You can be assured that this product has been scientifically tested and verified as an environmentally-safe substance.
The Best Choices for Dust Mite Killer Sprays
1. Allersearch® ADMS™
The main difference between this Anti-Allergen Spray and others is that this formula does not contain any tannic acid or benzyl benzoate. This also makes it inorganic.
However, because there is no tannic acid or benzyl benzoate, it is safe for all colors, including white and off-white, and will not discolor anything.
This spray is similar to the Allersearch ADS spray, which we’ll talk about in a minute.
This spray is less harsh than the ADS spray, which makes it suitable for light-colored fabric.
The downside is that you have to use it every month, while the ADS spray lasts for three months.
ADMS can also be used on water-safe hard surfaces. You can use this to wipe down window sills and table tops.
Application: Simply spray the area you wish to treat. Wait for approximately 3 hours, then vacuum remaining residue. Allersearch’s ADMS spray requires re-treatment every 30 days
- Will not discolor white and off-white upholstery and other fabrics
- Useable on carpeting, upholstery, window curtains, vehicle interiors, dog and cat bedding, pillows, mattresses, and much more
- Can be used on hard surfaces
- Does not contain tannic acid or benzyl benzoate
- Uses an oxidizing compound to cling to allergens and destroys them
- Effective against dust mites, pet dander, pollen, mold and mildew
- Available in two sizes: 16 oz. or 32 oz
- Immediate relief from allergens, especially dust mite allergies
- Has a scent similar to bleach or chlorine that may affect some users
- Ingredients are not listed on the bottle
- Reported spray nozzle defects
- The one gallon refill does not come with a spray nozzle
2. Sprayway Good Night Odorless Spray
Need to get rid of those pesky mites now?
Though this product is marketed as a bed bug solution, it kills dust mites and several other types of bugs, too.
Goodnight Dust Mite Spray is a fabulous product that comes in several sizes.
You can get a big one for your home and a travel-size can for nights away.
As an EPA-registered product, this spray is a good choice if you prefer environmentally-friendly products.
Not only is this spray safe for the earth, but it’s also safe for you, your kids, and your pets once it dries. Even contact with wet spray will generally only cause mild irritation!
The only creatures who will be damaged by this spray are the pests you’re trying to get rid of.
In order to kill dust mites with this spray, the spray must come in contact with the dust mites. That means you can’t spray your bed and expect it to last for weeks.
However, this is one of the fastest ways to get rid of live dust mites when you need a quick solution!
Application: Usage is very simple—point, spray, wait for the spray to dry, and snooze.
- Can be sprayed anywhere: mattresses, pillows, carpets, rugs, sofas, tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, and suitcases
- EPA registered formula
- No ozone depleting chemicals
- Several sizes, including a 3 oz. TSA travel size
- Fine mist to coat fabrics
- Made in the USA
- Contains some ingredients like Pemethrin that can irritate the skin. However, Pemethrin works wonders against dust mites. Always wait for the product to dry completely before sleeping on or stepping on places where you sprayed
- Requires multiple applications for bed bugs
3. Febreze Fabric Refresher & Allergen Reducer Clean Splash Scent
This is one of the most popular dust mite-reducing sprays.
What makes Febreze Fabric and Air Allergen Reducer sprays so great?
First of all, these products do not just attack dust mites. They also cleanse the area! Getting a cleaner and a dust-mite reducer all in one? Yes, please!
Secondly, the smell is nice. The “Clean Splash” scent is very delicate. It’s not harsh like the chemical smell of some other spray products!
This spray acts as an air freshener. You can spray it on your bed and it won’t be annoying to sleep with the scent.
Application: Simply spray the area you wish to clean, let dry, and then vacuum up the allergens.
- Does not contain tannin acid or benzyl benzoate
- Safe for use around cats, dogs, and children (but do move your small pets or birds from the room before use)
- Reduces 95% of the allergens in the air and in fabrics, including dander, pollen, and dust mite matter
- Pleasant scent that eliminates lingering odors. There is also an unscented version available
- Can be used on hard-to-wash surfaces like upholstery, bedding, stuffed toys, carpets, luggage and gym bags, and furniture
- Does not contain ingredients that kill LIVE dust mites. This only reduces their matter and the collection of it
- Cannot be used on silk, suede, or leather, as staining or marking can occur
- Not EPA Registered
- Nozzle can leak
4. Allersearch® ADS™
Anti-Allergen Dust Spray, or ADS™ , is a long lasting formula that has been designed to last for up to 3 months.
While the active ingredient in this formula is tannic acid, Allersearch claims that this product is safe for people, pets, and the environment.
The best feature of this spray is that the tannic acid denatures mite and cat allergen proteins, as well as pollen, mold, and mildew.
When Allersearch was testing this product in their laboratory, they found an 80% decrease in indoor allergens, including dust mites!
Remember, this spray is similar to the Allersearch ADMS spray, which we talked about above.
However, it’s stronger. That means you can’t use it on light-colored fabric, but you only have to use it once every three months.
Application: Simply spray the affected area enough to dampen it and wait three hours for the product to dry. Once it has dried, vacuum up the excess residue.
- Medically proven to be effective for up to 90 days (3 months)
- Can be used on drapery, carpets, area rugs, soft fabrics and furnishings. Pillows and mattresses can also be sprayed, but it is recommended to enclose these things first in dust mite proof cases to increase the efficacy
- Comes in two sizes—16 oz. bottle that sprays up to 300 square feet or the 32 oz. bottle that treats up to 600 square feet. Refill bottles come by the gallon
- Useable around cats
- Neutralizes allergens from various sources, including pet , mold, mildew, and pollen
- Components in spray keep allergens from becoming airborne again
- Does not discolor fabrics
- The tannic acid will discolor slightly lighter fabrics and white walls
- Cannot be used with hard surfaces, such as table tops and counters
- Not be the most budget friendly product, especially if you are experiencing minimal difficulties with dust mites and allergies
- Formula has a short shelf life of 6 months
5. Homemade Dust Mite Spray
Looking to mix up your own dust mite spray?
No problem! Essential oils are a popular alternative to spray products.
Essential oils are not just for aromatherapy! They also provide a host of benefits around the house.
Because essential oils are also naturally occurring, they are generally harmless to people, animals, and the environment.
Essential oils are not as potent as dust mite spray products. They are not quite as thorough as products with chemicals, but they are an ideal option for people with sensitivities to other products.
They also smell a whole lot better! If you can’t stand the scent of dust mite products, essential oils can offer a soothing alternative to harsh odors.
Try mixing a few oils for a homemade dust mite repellent! The following essential oils are effective against dust mites:
How to Make Essential Oil Dust Mite Spray:
- Choose two to four of your favorite scents and get a spray bottle.
- Add at least 30 drops of each oil for every 24 oz. of water in a spray bottle.
- Optional: include about 2 ounces of witch hazel
- Spray generously on everything—carpets, beds, curtains, pillows, and more.
- Let dry.
- Optional: sprinkle some baking soda on uncovered fabrics, like your carpet or an undressed bed. Vacuum up residue.
This recipe has been adapted from Pattisplace.
It is also helpful to add eucalyptus oil to your laundry in order to reduce dust mites.
One study found that adding this essential oil to blankets during washing can reduce the recovery of dust mites up to 95 percent!
Choosing the best dust mite spray for your home and situation does not have to be a challenge!
Know what to look for, and it can be easy to choose the spray that will be both cost effective and safe.
Get dust mites under control now with one of these maximum efficiency dust mite killer sprays, or make your own! Your sinuses will thank you.
Have you tried any of these sprays? Let us know the results in the comments!